Europe’s ever expanding mobility patterns – posting, third-country nationals and the single European labour market
This article shows that the single European labour market has come to consist of various streams of mobility, out of which long-term mobility is just one modest stream. Long-term mobility based on the free movement of workers is increasingly complemented by highly circular and more temporary mobility streams of posted workers based on the free movement of services. Another rapidly growing mobility stream consists of third-country nationals (TCNs) who are mobile within Europe as posted workers. This stream is based on case-law of the European Court of Justice, that allows TCNs with a valid work and residence permit in one Member State, to be posted freely across the EU. This article is a call to re-assess EU labour mobility as the diverse phenomenon it has become, encompassing not only mobility streams that were initially or historically part of the labour mobility vision of EU policy makers, but also labour streams that are (even) more short term and circular. One main conclusion is that a true single European labour market should be much more integrated administratively.
|Author(s)||D. Lens, N. Mussche, I. Marx|
|Year of publication||Jul, 2019|
|Journal||CBS Working Paper|
|Volume, Number||2019, 08|
|Publisher||Herman Deleeck Centre for Social Policy, Antwerpen|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- Working Better with Age, Ageing and Employment Policies, 2019. OECD.
- Taking EU labour law beyond the employment contract: The role played by the European Court of Justice, 2019. E. Menegatti.
- Social and spatial networks in labour markets, 2019. G. Topa.
- How Labor Market Inequality Transforms Mass Politics, 2019. S. Häusermann, A. Kemmerling, D. Rueda.
- Labour market segmentation: Piloting new empirical and policy analyses, 2019. I. Cruz, O. Molina, J.M. Verd, E. Palauskaite, R. Dumčius, M. Venckutė, V. Patrini, C. Vacas‑Soriano.
- Diversiteit arbeidsrelaties en arbeidsomstandigheden, 2019. SER.
- WABlief? 2019. M. Beukhof, J. Marijnissen, R. Rietveld, V. Scuric.
- Lagere productiviteit door groei zelfstandigen, 2019. H. de Bondt.
- Werknemers in een nieuwe baan en hun arbeidsmarktpositie een jaar later, 2019. G. Gringhuis, J. de Vries.
- Jaarboek Tijdschrift voor Sociale Vraagstukken: Nieuwe zekerheden in onzekere tijden, 2019. F. Dekker, M. Ham, J. van der Meer (Red.).