The European Employment Strategy, the European Social Pillar and their Impact on Labour Law Reform in the European Union
The article provides a critical account of the impact of the European Employment Strategy (EES) on national labour market policies and labour law systems. It gives an overview of the development of the EES from the 1990s until the introduction of the European Social Pillar (ESP) and analyses its impact in the Member States of the European Union. In particular, it highlights the origins of the EES in debates about European Economic and Monetary Union (EMU) and examines the importance and the specific nature of the new governance approach adopted by the EES and its significance for labour law reform in the Member States. The article argues that the latest stage in the development of European social policy, associated with the introduction of the ESP, has not led to a change in direction in European social and employment law and policy. Despite its rights-based approach, the ESP merely constitutes the latest stage in the development of the EES and continues in its attempt to prioritize labour market policy concerns in reforming labour law. However, the article also argues that the ESP has potential to be the platform for a proper Social Union.
|Year of publication||Sep, 2019|
|Journal||International Journal of Comparative Labour Law and Industrial Relations|
|Volume, Number||35, 3|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Nieuwsbrief week 44 - 2019
- Platform work: Maximising the potential while safeguarding standards? 2019. I. Mandl.
- The European Employment Strategy, the European Social Pillar and their Impact on Labour Law Reform in the European Union, 2019. R. Rogowski.
- Labor market regulation, the diversity of knowledge and skill, and national innovation performance, 2019. A. Filippetti, F. Guy.
- The Wrong Kind of AI? Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Labor Demand, 2019. D. Acemoglu, P. Restrepo.
- Handbook of the Politics of Labour, Work and Employment, 2019. G. Gall (Ed.).
- Ontslagbescherming in Nederland: in dienst van baanzekerheid of werkzekerheid? 2019. N. Zekić.
- Herhaling virtuele praktijktests arbeidsmarktdiscriminatie, 2019. Panteia.
- Arbeidsmarkt in kaart: werkgevers editie 2, 2019. SCP.
- Vakbondslidmaatschap onder druk in Nederland, maar niet in België, 2019. P.T. de Beer, L.E. Berntsen.
- (A)symmetrieën in – en op – het werk, 2019. S.B. de Jong.