The European Employment Strategy, the European Social Pillar and their Impact on Labour Law Reform in the European Union
The article provides a critical account of the impact of the European Employment Strategy (EES) on national labour market policies and labour law systems. It gives an overview of the development of the EES from the 1990s until the introduction of the European Social Pillar (ESP) and analyses its impact in the Member States of the European Union. In particular, it highlights the origins of the EES in debates about European Economic and Monetary Union (EMU) and examines the importance and the specific nature of the new governance approach adopted by the EES and its significance for labour law reform in the Member States. The article argues that the latest stage in the development of European social policy, associated with the introduction of the ESP, has not led to a change in direction in European social and employment law and policy. Despite its rights-based approach, the ESP merely constitutes the latest stage in the development of the EES and continues in its attempt to prioritize labour market policy concerns in reforming labour law. However, the article also argues that the ESP has potential to be the platform for a proper Social Union.
|Year of publication||Sep, 2019|
|Journal||International Journal of Comparative Labour Law and Industrial Relations|
|Volume, Number||35, 3|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- Annual review of working life 2018, 2019. C. Aumayr-Pintar, C. Cerf, B. Surdykowska.
- Active Labor Market Programs for Youth: A Framework to Guide Youth Employment Interventions, 2019. W. Cunningham, M.L. Sanchez-Puerta, A. Wuermli.
- Individual Learning Accounts: Panacea or Pandora's Box? 2019. OECD.
- Still Seeking Coordination? Assessing German Employers’ Interests in the Digitalized Social Market Economy, 2019. J. Weckwerth, T. Weishaupt.
- Good intentions meet harsh realities: Social dialogue and precarious work in industrial cleaning, 2019. T.P. Larsen, M. Mailand, T. Schulten.
- De waarde van werk staat in Nederland onder druk, 2019. W.M. Been, P.T. de Beer.
- De ontslagbescherming van onderwijzend personeel, 2019. E. van Vliet.
- Zeggenschap over arbeid en technologie, 2019. F. Pot.
- Vaker aan het werk met een no-riskpolis? Evaluatie experiment vervroegde toekenning no-riskpolis, 2019. UWV.
- Publieke belangen en de regulering van digitale platformen, 2018. P. de Bijl, N. van Gorp.