Input to the Netherlands Independent Commission on the Regulation of Work
The Dutch labour market is among the top performers in the OECD – particularly when it comes to job quantity and job quality. Employment is high, unemployment low; workers, on average, earn high wages, and they face less labour market insecurity and experience less job strain than in most other OECD countries. Poverty among the working age population is comparatively low, but the employment gap for disadvantaged groups could be narrowed and the gender labour income gap is large (explained, to a large extent, by the high share of women in part-time employment).
Despite this relatively good performance, there are concerns in the Netherlands about the high level of, and strong growth in, non-standard employment. The Netherlands is an outlier in the OECD as far as non-standard employment is concerned. Almost one in five workers in the Netherlands are on a temporary contract (compared to one in eight less than two decades ago, and less than one in ten across the OECD on average). Only four OECD countries have seen an increase in self-employment over the past two decades and, of these, the Netherlands has experienced the fastest growth.
|Year of publication||Jun, 2019|
|Publisher||Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Paris|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- Working Better with Age, Ageing and Employment Policies, 2019. OECD.
- Taking EU labour law beyond the employment contract: The role played by the European Court of Justice, 2019. E. Menegatti.
- Social and spatial networks in labour markets, 2019. G. Topa.
- How Labor Market Inequality Transforms Mass Politics, 2019. S. Häusermann, A. Kemmerling, D. Rueda.
- Labour market segmentation: Piloting new empirical and policy analyses, 2019. I. Cruz, O. Molina, J.M. Verd, E. Palauskaite, R. Dumčius, M. Venckutė, V. Patrini, C. Vacas‑Soriano.
- Diversiteit arbeidsrelaties en arbeidsomstandigheden, 2019. SER.
- WABlief? 2019. M. Beukhof, J. Marijnissen, R. Rietveld, V. Scuric.
- Lagere productiviteit door groei zelfstandigen, 2019. H. de Bondt.
- Werknemers in een nieuwe baan en hun arbeidsmarktpositie een jaar later, 2019. G. Gringhuis, J. de Vries.
- Jaarboek Tijdschrift voor Sociale Vraagstukken: Nieuwe zekerheden in onzekere tijden, 2019. F. Dekker, M. Ham, J. van der Meer (Red.).