Designing flexible work practices for job satisfaction: the relation between job characteristics and work disaggregation in different types of work arrangements
The literature on flexible work practices has not yet evaluated in detail how the characteristics of a job affect job satisfaction. This study makes a distinction between two types of flexible work practices according to their aims: the accommodation of employees’ personal lives (employment practice) and the operational reasons of a firm (work practice). Based on this distinction, we studied how the characteristics of a job, which reflect the use of ICT to support the spatial disaggregation of business processes, influence the relationship between the two types of flexible work practices and job satisfaction. We show, through a survey conducted on 987 workers, that the characteristics of a job that favour work disaggregation positively moderate the influence of flexible work as a work practice on job satisfaction, but they do not moderate the influence of flexible work as an employment practice. The implications for managers, workers and scholars are discussed.
|Author(s)||P. Neirotti, E. Raguseo, L. Gastaldi|
|Year of publication||May, 2019|
|Journal||New Technology, Work and Employment|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Nieuwsbrief week 24 - 2019
- Designing flexible work practices for job satisfaction: the relation between job characteristics and work disaggregation in different types of work arrangements, 2019. P. Neirotti, E. Raguseo, L. Gastaldi.
- Photographs of young generations on the Dutch labour market, 2019. S. Bekker, I.A. van Deurzen.
- In-work poverty in Europe: a study of national policies, 2019. R. Peña-Casas, D. Ghailani, S. Spasova, B. Vanhercke.
- Exploring the Ingredients of Success: Studying Trajectories of the Vulnerable Unemployed Who Have Entered Work or Education in Denmark, 2019. S. Danneris, D. Caswell.
- In the name of competitiveness: a discursive institutionalist analysis of the EU’s approach to labour market structural reform, 2007–2016, 2019. J. Miró.
- Monitor Arbeidsmarkt april 2019, 2019. Ministerie van SZW.
- Karakteristieken en tarieven zzp’ers – gevolgen voor de kwalificatievraag, 2019. G.C. Boot.
- Private arbeidsintegratie: evaluatie van het Philips Werkgelegenheidsplan, 2019. R. Peijen, T. Wilthagen, R. Muffels, R. Dekker.
- Arbeidsmarktprognose 2019-2020, 2019. UWV.
- Transitiefunctie in het arbeidsrecht en werkloosheidsrecht, 2019. G.R. Oldenhuis.