Labour market regulations, changes in working life and the importance of apprenticeship training: A long-term and comparative view on youth transition from school to work
What is the significance of regulations of job contracts and wages when it comes to young people’s access to labour market? This is an issue that has attracted and continues to attract a great deal of interest in both research and politics. Proposals for deregulated employment protection and reduced entry-level pay recur regularly in public debate. In our view it is incomprehensible how sectors of the labour market that are dominated by jobs with low productivity and unstable employment conditions could be expected to offer a permanent solution for the large group of young people who are currently finding it difficult to enter the labour market and reach an acceptable standard of living. Instead, the responses to the challenges facing young people in the labour market could involve training in the form of apprenticeships rather than more insecure jobs and/or lower pay. Essentially, our starting point is that apprenticeship training could provide a more accurate response to the challenges facing young people in working life. This response would not involve the costs in terms of increased social polarisation and increased social risks that may follow in the wake of an increasingly deregulated labour market.
|Author(s)||J. Olofsson, A. Panican|
|Year of publication||Feb, 2019|
|Journal||Policy Futures in Education|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- The dynamism of the new economy: Non-standard employment and access to social security in EU-28, 2019. S. Avlijaš.
- Work on demand: Recurrence, effects and challenges, 2018. I. Biletta, C. Cerf.
- Labor market reforms: An evaluation of the Hartz policies in Germany, 2019. J. Bradley, A. Kügler.
- Job quality in European employment policy: one step forward, two steps back? 2019. A. Piasna, B. Burchell, K. Sehnbruch.
- The quest for sustainable employment: Challenges faced by young people during the job‐search process, 2019. K. Moore.
- Deliveroo: terecht bezorgd, 2019. P. Th. Sick.
- Loopbanen van startende zzp'ers in Nederland, 2018. L. Kösters, J. Michiels.
- Op de drempel van arbeidsongeschiktheid, 2019. UWV.
- Platformwerk, besluitvorming door algoritmen en bewijs van algoritmische discriminatie, 2019. M. Kullmann.
- Gevolgen van marktdifferentiatie voor diversiteit, inclusie en kansengelijkheid in kindercentra, een vergelijkende casestudy, 2019. W. van der Werf, P. Slot, P. Kenis, P. Leseman.