Setting the record straight: How record employment has changed the UK
On the eve of the global financial crisis, the UK’s employment rate was 73.0 per cent. A decade on and the employment rate is 75.7 per cent, by a distance the highest since comparable records began in 1971. This report looks back at a decade of unprecedented growth in employment, and at the effect this has had on the UK labour market. We ask – who are the people, what are the places, and what are the types of jobs that account for this increase? In doing so we scrutinise some of the criticisms of the UK’s recent employment ‘boom’ – that all new jobs have gone to migrants; that all new jobs are in London; and that all the new jobs are low paying and insecure. We offer some positive findings. Employment growth has benefited natives as well as migrants, London’s outsize contribution is down to population growth, there has been employment rate catch up in urban areas across the country, and the last decade has been one of occupational upgrading.
|Author(s)||S. Clarke, N. Cominetti|
|Year of publication||Jan, 2019|
|Publisher||Resolution Foundation, London|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- Digital labour platforms and the future of work: Towards decent work in the online world, 2018. J. Berg, M. Furrer, E. Harmon, U. Rani, M.S. Silberman.
- Understanding insecure work in Australia, 2019. L. Alexander.
- Getting Skills Right: Future-Ready Adult Learning Systems, 2019. OECD.
- Age and quality of life: Who are the winners and losers? 2019. J.-M. Jungblut, R. Anderson.
- China’s Employment Contract Law: Does it deliver employment security? 2019. F. Wang, B. Gan, Y. Cheng, L. Peng, J. Feng, L. Yang, Y. Xi.
- De toekomst van het Nederlandse arbeidsbestel, 2018. P.T. de Beer, M.J. Keune.
- De ILO en Flexwerk, 2019. F.C.A. van Haasteren.
- Holistische duiding van de arbeidsrelatie maakt het platformeconomie moeilijk, 2019. H. Bennaars.
- Toekomstbestendigheid mededingingsbeleid in relatie tot online platforms, 2018. Rijksoverheid.
- Mentoring naar werk voor hooggeschoolde anderstalige nieuwkomers. Een analyse van knelpunten, successen en opportuniteiten, 2018. H. Vandermeerschen, P. De Cuyper, D. Purkayastha, M. Reidsma.