The Road to Permanent Work in Italy
Building on previous research, we address the debated question of whether temporary contractual arrangements are a stepping stone toward more stable and definitive forms of employment. In particular, we investigate the different performance of three types of contracts, fixed term, parasubordinate and apprenticeship contracts. In this study we prepared and reclassified a large observational dataset and applied propensity score estimates to a sample of over 600,000 workers observed through 2008–2015. Although the rationale behind labour market flexibilization has been partially successful in creating occupation in the country, this came at the cost of more insecure jobs and with workers being trapped into a loop of perennial renewals. Our analysis contributes effectively to the exploration of flexible term contract’ role as stepping-stone—or bottle necks—with respect to open ended contracts. We find no stepping-stone effect for fixed-term and parasubordinate contracts, together with a (weak) stepping-stone effect for apprenticeships.
|Author(s)||M. Giovanna Bosco, E. Valeriani|
|Year of publication||Oct, 2018|
|Journal||Italian Economic Journal|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- Quality of life: Social insecurities and resilience, 2018. H. Dubois, T. Leončikas.
- Skills on the Move: Migrants in the Survey of Adult Skills, 2018. OECD.
- Belgian temporary workers at end of working life: an intersectional lifecourse analysis, 2018. N. Burnay.
- Work must pay: Does it? Precarious employment and employment motivation for low-income households, 2018. L. Trlifajová, J. Hurrle.
- The Road to Permanent Work in Italy, 2018. M. Giovanna Bosco, E. Valeriani.
- Beloning van flexwerkers, 2018. O. Skriabikova, W. Smits.
- Verdringing op de arbeidsmarkt, beschrijving en beleving, 2018. W. van den Berge, J. Ebregt, J. Zweerink, M. de Graaf-Zijl.
- Aanpak schijnconstructies en cao-naleving 2014 - 2018, 2018. Inspectie SZW.
- Publiek-private samenwerking en gegevensuitwisseling in het kader van de Wet aanpak schijnconstructies, 2018. I. Messoussi.
- Blockchain en de toekomst van de organisatie, 2018. S. Dhondt.