Belgian temporary workers at end of working life: an intersectional lifecourse analysis
The sector of temporary employment agencies in Belgium has been growing for more than 20 years. If temporary work is seen primarily as a path into the workforce for young people, it also concerns seniors, in increasing proportions. The problematic of end-of-career temporary work was analysed from a dual perspective, considering the embedding of temporalities in advanced modernity and more broadly the ‘lifecourse’ paradigm. A typology was created based on qualitative analysis of 36 semi-structured interviews of temporary workers ⩾45 years old. Results demonstrate how the experiences of temporary workers nearing retirement depend on professional, familial and social paths, and also reveal the presence of different cultural models: What is the importance of work in construction of an identity? What standards and values are applied? How is social time prioritised according to these norms? These analyses incorporate an intersectional framework in which gender and social inequalities structure the lives of workers approaching the end of their careers.
|Year of publication||Oct, 2018|
|Journal||Aging & Society|
|Publisher||Cambridge University Press, Cambridge|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- European Unemployment Insurance? 2019. G. Schmid.
- Working conditions in a global perspective, 2019. M. Aleksynska, J. Berg, D. Foden, H. Johnston, A. Parent-Thirion, J. Vanderleyden.
- Should digital labour platforms be treated as private employment agencies? 2019. V. De Stefano, M. Wouters.
- The working poor - or how a job is no guarantee of decent living conditions, 2019. R. Gammarano.
- Technology scenario: Employment implications of radical automation, 2019. R. Lewney, E. Alexandri, D. Storrie.
- Employability van flexibele en vaste werknemers in Nederland, 2019. W. Smits, J. de Vries.
- Sociale zekerheid en controle op detacheringen binnen de EU. Nieuwe wending in de rol van de detacheringsverklaringen bij fraude, 2019. H. Verschueren.
- De wetgever en payrolling: waar staan we nu? 2019. A. Briejer.
- Kroniek Wet Werk en Zekerheid 2018, 2019. A. Hiebendaal.
- Factsheet Parttime werk in de bijstand, 2019. Divosa.