Are Labour Market Reforms the Answer to Post-Euro-Crisis Management? Reflections on Germany’s Hartz Reforms
This article is an attempt to clarify the effects of the German labour market reforms, commonly known as the Hartz reforms. Competing arguments were used to identify the welfare implications for German society and the German economy in order to explore whether or not such labour market reforms might provide another German answer, following fiscal discipline, to the EU’s post-euro-crisis management. This paper confirms that the Hartz reforms effectively reduced German unemployment, but they did not fundamentally solve the problem. Moreover, such effects appeared to propagate an increase in size of the low-paid sector, declining wages and increasing income inequality. The reforms were not welfare-enhancing for individuals because of increased poverty levels in employment and unemployment, which further implied a counter-productive risk for the German economy because of the contraction of domestic consumption, and potential social instability for German society because of rising inequality and deteriorating living standards.
|Year of publication||Jul, 2018|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Nieuwsbrief week 31 - 2018
- Online, on call: the spread of digitally organised just-in-time working and its implications for standard employment models, 2018. U. Huws, N.H. Spencer, D.S. Syrdal.
- Measuring precarious employment in Europe 8 years into the global crisis, 2018. N. Matilla-Santander, C. Lidón-Moyano, A. González-Marrón K. Bunch, J.C. Martín-Sánchez, J.M. Martínez-Sánchez.
- Are Labour Market Reforms the Answer to Post-Euro-Crisis Management? Reflections on Germany’s Hartz Reforms, 2018. L. Chih-Mei.
- Multi-employer bargaining under pressure. Decentralisation trends in five European countries, 2018. S. Leonardi, R. Pedersini.
- Economic Survey of the Netherlands 2018, 2018. OECD.
- Leren onder groepen met een kwetsbare positie op de arbeidsmarkt, 2018. A. Künn-Nelen, D. Poulissen, D. Fouarge, P. van Eldert, A. de Grip.
- De winnaars en verliezers van de economische crisis, 2018. P. Smulders, S. van den Bossche.
- Werken in de klusseneconomie: een literatuurstudie, 2018. F. Dekker.
- Ontslag aangevraagd en dan? 2018. Inspectie SZW.
- De herplaatsingsplicht in de praktijk, 2018. P. Kruit, J. Sap.