Are Labour Market Reforms the Answer to Post-Euro-Crisis Management? Reflections on Germany’s Hartz Reforms
This article is an attempt to clarify the effects of the German labour market reforms, commonly known as the Hartz reforms. Competing arguments were used to identify the welfare implications for German society and the German economy in order to explore whether or not such labour market reforms might provide another German answer, following fiscal discipline, to the EU’s post-euro-crisis management. This paper confirms that the Hartz reforms effectively reduced German unemployment, but they did not fundamentally solve the problem. Moreover, such effects appeared to propagate an increase in size of the low-paid sector, declining wages and increasing income inequality. The reforms were not welfare-enhancing for individuals because of increased poverty levels in employment and unemployment, which further implied a counter-productive risk for the German economy because of the contraction of domestic consumption, and potential social instability for German society because of rising inequality and deteriorating living standards.
|Year of publication||Jul, 2018|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- The platform economy and social law: Key issues in comparative perspective, 2019. I. Daugareilh, C. Degryse, P. Pochet.
- Critiquing the OECD’s Employment Protection Legislation Index for individual dismissals: The importance of procedural requirements, 2019. M. Harcourt, G. Gall, A.S. Raman, H. Lam, R. Croucher.
- Is Profit Sharing Productive? A Meta‐Regression Analysis, 2019. H. Doucouliagos, P. Laroche, D.L. Kruse, T. D. Stanley.
- Input to the Netherlands Independent Commission on the Regulation of Work, 2019. OECD.
- Labour Law and Welfare Systems in an Era of Demographic, Technological, and Environmental Changes, 2019. M. Tiraboschi.
- Zelfstandigen Enquête Arbeid 2019, 2019. CBS, TNO.
- Zijn platformcoöperaties levensvatbaar? 2019. M. Arets, K. Frenken.
- Minder maatschappelijke participatie bij onzeker werk, 2019. F. Dekker.
- Integratie door werk: meer kansen op werk voor nieuwkomers, 2019. SER.
- Een stapsgewijze vaststelling van de categorie uitwisselbare functies, 2019. R. Rietveld, K. van Haaren.