Farewell flexicurity? Danish flexicurity and the crisis
Before the onset of the global financial crisis in 2008, flexicurity topped the European labour market and social policy agenda. It was acclaimed for combining the flexibility of liberal labour markets with the security of social welfare states, thereby offering a viable formula for success in the new global economy. Nowhere was this better exemplified than in Denmark, with the Danish system repeatedly highlighted as a good example of flexicurity in action. In this article, we revisit the flexicurity concept, assessing how the Danish labour market came through the crisis. We argue that the economic crisis and especially political reforms of the unemployment insurance system have challenged the institutional complementarities of flexicurity, but that the Danish labour market is recovering and adapting to new challenges. The Danish case illustrates that institutional complementarities between flexibility and security are fragile and liable to disintegrate if the institutions providing flexicurity are not maintained and supported.
|Author(s)||T. Bredgaard, P.K. Madsen|
|Year of publication||Apr, 2018|
|Journal||Transfer: European Review of Labour and Research|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Nieuwsbrief week 19 - 2018
- Organizing on-demand: Representation, voice, and collective bargaining in the gig economy, 2018. H. Johnston, C. Land-Kazlauskas.
- Lifting wages and conditions of atypical employees in Denmark—the role of social partners and sectoral social dialogue, 2018. T.P. Larsen, M. Mailand.
- Farewell flexicurity? Danish flexicurity and the crisis, 2018. T. Bredgaard, P.K. Madsen.
- The Rise of the European Self-employed Workforce, 2018. S. Bologna.
- Market Exposure and the Labour Process: The Contradictory Dynamics in Managing Subcontracted Services Work, 2018. D. Grimshaw, J. Cartwright, A. Keizer, J. Rubery.
- Wat is de impact van platformwerk? 2018. ABU.
- Jonggehandicapten duurzaam aan het werk, 2018. M. Bouterse, M.J. Gorter, L. Mallee, J. Timmerman.
- Trends in arbeidsomstandigheden van werknemers in Nederland en Europa, 2018. I. Houtman, K. Kraan, M. Bakhuys Roozenboom, S. van den Bossche.
- Algoritmes versus de flexbranche, 2018. ING.
- De gedwongen vrijheid van de maaltijdbezorger en de plannen van het kabinet Rutte III, 2018. H.J.W. Alt.