Organizing on-demand: Representation, voice, and collective bargaining in the gig economy
‘Gig’ or platform-based work represents one of the most recent, highly-publicized labour market trends. Attributed to the increased demand for flexibility on the part of employers, better labour market efficiency and, in some cases the desire for greater flexibility on the part of workers, gig and platform-based work is one type of non-standard work facilitated through technology and digital markets, on-demand. Despite its relatively small size the gig economy has the potential to rapidly change the way work is organized and performed, to alter the content and quality of jobs, and to reshape industries. This paper examines challenges to freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining for workers in the gig economy, and explores the broad range of strategies that gig-economy workers are using to build collective agency, and to promote effective regulation of gig work.
|Author(s)||H. Johnston, C. Land-Kazlauskas|
|Year of publication||Mar, 2018|
|Publisher||International Labour Organization (ILO), Geneva|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Nieuwsbrief week 19 - 2018
- Organizing on-demand: Representation, voice, and collective bargaining in the gig economy, 2018. H. Johnston, C. Land-Kazlauskas.
- Lifting wages and conditions of atypical employees in Denmark—the role of social partners and sectoral social dialogue, 2018. T.P. Larsen, M. Mailand.
- Farewell flexicurity? Danish flexicurity and the crisis, 2018. T. Bredgaard, P.K. Madsen.
- The Rise of the European Self-employed Workforce, 2018. S. Bologna.
- Market Exposure and the Labour Process: The Contradictory Dynamics in Managing Subcontracted Services Work, 2018. D. Grimshaw, J. Cartwright, A. Keizer, J. Rubery.
- Wat is de impact van platformwerk? 2018. ABU.
- Jonggehandicapten duurzaam aan het werk, 2018. M. Bouterse, M.J. Gorter, L. Mallee, J. Timmerman.
- Trends in arbeidsomstandigheden van werknemers in Nederland en Europa, 2018. I. Houtman, K. Kraan, M. Bakhuys Roozenboom, S. van den Bossche.
- Algoritmes versus de flexbranche, 2018. ING.
- De gedwongen vrijheid van de maaltijdbezorger en de plannen van het kabinet Rutte III, 2018. H.J.W. Alt.