Organizing on-demand: Representation, voice, and collective bargaining in the gig economy
‘Gig’ or platform-based work represents one of the most recent, highly-publicized labour market trends. Attributed to the increased demand for flexibility on the part of employers, better labour market efficiency and, in some cases the desire for greater flexibility on the part of workers, gig and platform-based work is one type of non-standard work facilitated through technology and digital markets, on-demand. Despite its relatively small size the gig economy has the potential to rapidly change the way work is organized and performed, to alter the content and quality of jobs, and to reshape industries. This paper examines challenges to freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining for workers in the gig economy, and explores the broad range of strategies that gig-economy workers are using to build collective agency, and to promote effective regulation of gig work.
|Author(s)||H. Johnston, C. Land-Kazlauskas|
|Year of publication||Mar, 2018|
|Publisher||International Labour Organization (ILO), Geneva|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- Youth Labor in Transition. Inequalities, Mobility, and Policies in Europe, 2019. J. O'Reilly, J. Leschke, R. Ortlieb, M. Seeleib-Kaiser, P. Villa (Eds.).
- Balancing flexibility and security in Europe? The impact of unemployment on young peoples’ subjective well-being, 2019. H. Russell, J. Leschke, M. Smith.
- Youth unemployment and employment trajectories in Spain during the Great Recession: what are the determinants? 2019. J.M. Verd, O. Barranco, M. Bolíbar.
- The decline in middle-skilled employment in 12 European countries: New evidence for job polarisation, 2019. C. Peugny.
- 20 Years in the world of work: A study of (nonstandard) occupational trajectories and health, 2019. F. Giudici, D. Morselli.
- Trends in kwaliteit van de arbeid van flexibele en vaste werknemers en multi-jobbers, 2019. K. Kraan, S. Verbiest.
- Nationale Enquête Arbeidsomstandigheden 2018, 2019. W.E. Hooftman, G.M.J. Mars, B. Janssen, E.M.M. de Vroome, B.J.M. Janssen, A.J.S.F. Pleijers, M.M.M.J. Ramaekers, S.N.J. van den Bossche.
- Balanceren met detacheren, 2018. J.H. Even.
- Toegang tot leven lang leren versnelt economische groei, 2019. S.J. Cabus.
- Werkloze ouderen weer aan het werk? Het effect van reserveringsloon en zoekintensiteit, 2019. J.D. Vlasblom, J. Schippers.