Relative deprivation of temporary agency workers in the public sector: The role of public service motivation and the possibility of standard employment
Although public service organisations have increasingly relied on nonstandard employees, little research has investigated their work experiences and job attitudes. This paper examines the mechanism by which temporary agency workers' experience of relative deprivation affects their organisational attachment toward their client firm in the public sector. Based on data collected from temporary help agencies working with an international airport in Korea, we found that the perceived likelihood of standard employment mediated the negative relationship of relative deprivation to organisational attachment. Moreover, the indirect relationship of relative deprivation with organisational attachment via perceived likelihood of standard employment was strong and significant among those with high public service motivation but was not significant for those with low public service motivation. We discuss the implications of this study in building a better understanding of relative deprivation and nonstandard work arrangements in the public sector.
|Author(s)||H.‐J. Jung, S.‐C. Noh, I. Kim|
|Year of publication||Mar, 2018|
|Journal||Human Resource Management Journal|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- Digital labour platforms and the future of work: Towards decent work in the online world, 2018. J. Berg, M. Furrer, E. Harmon, U. Rani, M.S. Silberman.
- Understanding insecure work in Australia, 2019. L. Alexander.
- Getting Skills Right: Future-Ready Adult Learning Systems, 2019. OECD.
- Age and quality of life: Who are the winners and losers? 2019. J.-M. Jungblut, R. Anderson.
- China’s Employment Contract Law: Does it deliver employment security? 2019. F. Wang, B. Gan, Y. Cheng, L. Peng, J. Feng, L. Yang, Y. Xi.
- De toekomst van het Nederlandse arbeidsbestel, 2018. P.T. de Beer, M.J. Keune.
- De ILO en Flexwerk, 2019. F.C.A. van Haasteren.
- Holistische duiding van de arbeidsrelatie maakt het platformeconomie moeilijk, 2019. H. Bennaars.
- Toekomstbestendigheid mededingingsbeleid in relatie tot online platforms, 2018. Rijksoverheid.
- Mentoring naar werk voor hooggeschoolde anderstalige nieuwkomers. Een analyse van knelpunten, successen en opportuniteiten, 2018. H. Vandermeerschen, P. De Cuyper, D. Purkayastha, M. Reidsma.