Worker Representation and Temporary Employment in Germany: The Deployment and Extent of Fixed-Term Contracts and Temporary Agency Work
This study examines the potential impact of works councils and unions on the deployment of fixed-term contracts and agency temps. We report inter al. that works councils are associated with a higher number of temporary agency workers when demand volatility is high while the opposite holds for fixed-term contracts. These disparities likely reflect differences in function, with agency work being more directed toward the protection of a shrinking core and fixed-term contacts being as much a port of entry as a buffer stock. We are also able to identify the number of new hires with a fixed-term contract as well as the number of FTC conversions (into regular employment) and renewals, the correlates of which flows are broadly consistent with the stock data.
|Author(s)||J.T. Addison, P. Teixeira, P. Grunau, L. Bellmann|
|Year of publication||Mar, 2018|
|Journal||IZA Discussion Paper|
|Volume, Number||2018, 11378|
|Publisher||Forschungsinstitut zur Zukunft der Arbeit (IZA), Bonn|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- Digitalisation, hiring and personnel policy: evidence from a representative business survey, 2018. A. Warning, E. Weber.
- Worker Representation and Temporary Employment in Germany: The Deployment and Extent of Fixed-Term Contracts and Temporary Agency Work, 2018. J.T. Addison, P. Teixeira, P. Grunau, L. Bellmann.
- Behavioural study on the effects of an extension of access to social protection for people in all forms of employment, 2018. C. Codagnone, F. Lupiáñez-Villanueva, P. Tornese, G. Gaskell, G. Veltri, J. Vila, Y. Franco, S. Vitiello, A. Theben, P. Ortoleva, V. Cirillo, M. Fana.
- Relative deprivation of temporary agency workers in the public sector: The role of public service motivation and the possibility of standard employment, 2018. H.‐J. Jung, S.‐C. Noh, I. Kim.
- Employment patterns and family satisfaction in Europe: do welfare and labour market policies intervene? 2018. P. Böhnke, I. Valdés Cifuentes,.
- Factsheet uitzendwerk, 2017. UWV.
- Platformwerkers verdienen meer! 2018. E. Verhulp.
- Het voorstel ter herziening van de Detacheringsrichtlijn: een tussenstand, 2018. I.S.H. Janssen.
- Uber: online dienst of vervoersbedrijf? Europese grenzen aan regulering van online platforms, 2018. M.R. Botman.
- Kansen van technologie voor arbeidsparticipatie, 2018. UWV.