Employment patterns and family satisfaction in Europe: do welfare and labour market policies intervene?
The paper seeks to explore the relationship between labour market integration and family satisfaction in a cross-country comparison perspective and takes important intervening factors into consideration such as the social policy and flexibility strategy as well as the cultural context of 27 European countries.
The authors rely on data from the European Quality of Life Survey 2012 and conduct multi-level analyses using both the one-step Random-Intercept Model with cross-level interactions as well as a two-step hierarchical model. The country-specific framework is addressed with indicators for the level of social security, for external flexibility labour market characteristics, and for the predominant family solidarity norm of a country.
The paper provides empirical support for the thesis of social disruption according to insecure labour market attachment. This link is weakened in countries where flexible labour market conditions are accompanied by strong efforts on state-provided social security. High family support norms can only partially compensate a lack of social protection covered by the state.
|Author(s)||P. Böhnke, I. Valdés Cifuentes,|
|Year of publication||Apr, 2018|
|Journal||International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- Digital labour platforms and the future of work: Towards decent work in the online world, 2018. J. Berg, M. Furrer, E. Harmon, U. Rani, M.S. Silberman.
- Understanding insecure work in Australia, 2019. L. Alexander.
- Getting Skills Right: Future-Ready Adult Learning Systems, 2019. OECD.
- Age and quality of life: Who are the winners and losers? 2019. J.-M. Jungblut, R. Anderson.
- China’s Employment Contract Law: Does it deliver employment security? 2019. F. Wang, B. Gan, Y. Cheng, L. Peng, J. Feng, L. Yang, Y. Xi.
- De toekomst van het Nederlandse arbeidsbestel, 2018. P.T. de Beer, M.J. Keune.
- De ILO en Flexwerk, 2019. F.C.A. van Haasteren.
- Holistische duiding van de arbeidsrelatie maakt het platformeconomie moeilijk, 2019. H. Bennaars.
- Toekomstbestendigheid mededingingsbeleid in relatie tot online platforms, 2018. Rijksoverheid.
- Mentoring naar werk voor hooggeschoolde anderstalige nieuwkomers. Een analyse van knelpunten, successen en opportuniteiten, 2018. H. Vandermeerschen, P. De Cuyper, D. Purkayastha, M. Reidsma.