German temporary agency workers’ SWB: the impact of POS provided by agencies
We focus on the specific relationship between temporary agency workers and their employing temporary work agencies in Germany that is characterized – in contrast to other European countries – by agencies’ central role in employment and the prevalence of permanent contracts. Our study addresses a research gap in understanding the mediating role of perceived organizational support (POS) provided by temporary work agencies in the relationship between employment-specific antecedents and temporary agency workers’ subjective well-being (SWB). Based on a sample of 350 temporary agency workers in Germany, the mediating role of perceived organizational support provided by agencies is analyzed using structural equation modeling.
We show that procedural justice, performance feedback and social network availability positively relate to perceived organizational support while perceived job insecurity shows the expected negative influence and distributive justice has no impact on POS. POS, in turn, positively relates to subjective well-being. The partially mediating effect of perceived organizational support between employment-specific antecedents and subjective well-being is also confirmed.
The results highlight the importance of agencies creating perceived organizational support and reducing perceived job insecurity for improving temporary agency workers’ subjective well-being.
|Author(s)||S. Imhof, M. Andresen|
|Year of publication||Sep, 2017|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- Exploring self-employment in the European Union, 2017. G. Vermeylen, M. Wilkens, I. Biletta, A. Fromm, A. Parent-Thirion, R. Rodriguez Contreras.
- The labor market in Germany, 2000–2016, 2017. U. Rinne, H. Schneider.
- Dimensions of educational stratification: non-standard employment, workplace task discretion, and educational beliefs, 2017. A.M. Pullman.
- In-work poverty in the EU, 2017. D. Ahrendt, E. Sándor, A. Revello, J.-M. Jungblut, R. Anderson.
- German temporary agency workers’ SWB: the impact of POS provided by agencies, 2017. S. Imhof, M. Andresen.
- Het beroep in de cao. Een verkenning naar de mogelijkheden van een beroepencao, 2017. J. Dekker, H. de Graaff, R. Kemper, C. Hendriks.
- Ontslag oudere werknemers anno 2017 nader bezien, 2017. C. Donner-Broersma, I. Vermeeren-Keijzers.
- Scholing zzp’ers heeft geen effect op bedrijfsresultaten, 2017. B. Hogendoorn, H. Maassen van den Brink, W. Groot.
- Flexibele arbeid en de gevolgen voor relatie- en gezinsvorming, 2017. CBS.
- Mededingingsrecht in relatie tot samenwerking tussen zzp-ers, 2017. A. Gerbrandy, P. Kreijger.