Exploring self-employment in the European Union
In the rapidly changing world of work, the traditional dichotomy of employee and self-employed is insufficient to capture the wide diversity of self-employed workers in Europe today. This report identifies five categories of self-employed, reflecting the wide-ranging attitudes, income levels, and health and well-being among this diverse group. Based on data from the sixth European Working Conditions Survey (EWCS) and the European Union Labour Force Survey (EU-LFS), the analysis reveals that the majority of self-employed workers enjoy high levels of job quality. However, there are concerns in relation to so-called ‘economically dependent workers’: while they are classed as self-employed, they lack both the autonomy that self-employment usually offers and the social protection granted by regular employment. Some policy approaches of Member States to this ‘in-between’ employment status are described in detail, which are of relevance for the discussions around the European Pillar of Social Rights,
|Author(s)||G. Vermeylen, M. Wilkens, I. Biletta, A. Fromm, A. Parent-Thirion, R. Rodriguez Contreras|
|Year of publication||Sep, 2017|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Nieuwsbrief week 41 - 2017
- Exploring self-employment in the European Union, 2017. G. Vermeylen, M. Wilkens, I. Biletta, A. Fromm, A. Parent-Thirion, R. Rodriguez Contreras.
- The labor market in Germany, 2000–2016, 2017. U. Rinne, H. Schneider.
- Dimensions of educational stratification: non-standard employment, workplace task discretion, and educational beliefs, 2017. A.M. Pullman.
- In-work poverty in the EU, 2017. D. Ahrendt, E. Sándor, A. Revello, J.-M. Jungblut, R. Anderson.
- German temporary agency workers’ SWB: the impact of POS provided by agencies, 2017. S. Imhof, M. Andresen.
- Het beroep in de cao. Een verkenning naar de mogelijkheden van een beroepencao, 2017. J. Dekker, H. de Graaff, R. Kemper, C. Hendriks.
- Ontslag oudere werknemers anno 2017 nader bezien, 2017. C. Donner-Broersma, I. Vermeeren-Keijzers.
- Scholing zzp’ers heeft geen effect op bedrijfsresultaten, 2017. B. Hogendoorn, H. Maassen van den Brink, W. Groot.
- Flexibele arbeid en de gevolgen voor relatie- en gezinsvorming, 2017. CBS.
- Mededingingsrecht in relatie tot samenwerking tussen zzp-ers, 2017. A. Gerbrandy, P. Kreijger.