In-work poverty in the EU
The ‘working poor’ are a substantial group, the latest estimate putting 10% of European workers at risk of poverty, up from 8% in 2007. This report describes the development of in-work poverty in the EU since the crisis of 2008, picking up where an earlier Eurofound report on this subject, published in 2010, ended and looks at what countries have done to combat the problem since. This endeavour is complicated by the policy focus on employment as a route out of poverty, underplaying the considerable financial, social and personal difficulties experienced by the working poor. The increase in non-standard forms of employment in many countries appears to have contributed to rising in-work poverty. The report argues the case for greater policy attention and action on the part of governments, employers and social partners, not only through direct measures associated with both the minimum and living wage, progressive taxation, in-work benefits and social assistance, but also and more importantly through indirect measures such as more flexible working arrangements, housing, upgrading of skills and childcare.
|Author(s)||D. Ahrendt, E. Sándor, A. Revello, J.-M. Jungblut, R. Anderson|
|Year of publication||Sep, 2017|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Nieuwsbrief week 41 - 2017
- Exploring self-employment in the European Union, 2017. G. Vermeylen, M. Wilkens, I. Biletta, A. Fromm, A. Parent-Thirion, R. Rodriguez Contreras.
- The labor market in Germany, 2000–2016, 2017. U. Rinne, H. Schneider.
- Dimensions of educational stratification: non-standard employment, workplace task discretion, and educational beliefs, 2017. A.M. Pullman.
- In-work poverty in the EU, 2017. D. Ahrendt, E. Sándor, A. Revello, J.-M. Jungblut, R. Anderson.
- German temporary agency workers’ SWB: the impact of POS provided by agencies, 2017. S. Imhof, M. Andresen.
- Het beroep in de cao. Een verkenning naar de mogelijkheden van een beroepencao, 2017. J. Dekker, H. de Graaff, R. Kemper, C. Hendriks.
- Ontslag oudere werknemers anno 2017 nader bezien, 2017. C. Donner-Broersma, I. Vermeeren-Keijzers.
- Scholing zzp’ers heeft geen effect op bedrijfsresultaten, 2017. B. Hogendoorn, H. Maassen van den Brink, W. Groot.
- Flexibele arbeid en de gevolgen voor relatie- en gezinsvorming, 2017. CBS.
- Mededingingsrecht in relatie tot samenwerking tussen zzp-ers, 2017. A. Gerbrandy, P. Kreijger.