The European Employment Strategy, the European Social Pillar and their Impact on Labour Law Reform in the European Union
The article provides a critical account of the impact of the European Employment Strategy (EES) on national labour market policies and labour law systems. It gives an overview of the development of the EES from the 1990s until the introduction of the European Social Pillar (ESP) and analyses its impact in the Member States of the European Union. In particular, it highlights the origins of the EES in debates about European Economic and Monetary Union (EMU) and examines the importance and the specific nature of the new governance approach adopted by the EES and its significance for labour law reform in the Member States. The article argues that the latest stage in the development of European social policy, associated with the introduction of the ESP, has not led to a change in direction in European social and employment law and policy. Despite its rights-based approach, the ESP merely constitutes the latest stage in the development of the EES and continues in its attempt to prioritize labour market policy concerns in reforming labour law. However, the article also argues that the ESP has potential to be the platform for a proper Social Union.
|Year of publication||Sep, 2019|
|Journal||International Journal of Comparative Labour Law and Industrial Relations|
|Volume, Number||35, 3|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Publications ajoutées récemment
- Digital labour platforms in Europe: numbers, profiles, and employment status of platform workers, 2019. C. Urzì Brancati, A. Pesole, E. Fernández-Macías.
- Short-Time Work: a Bridge to Employment Security or a Springboard to Unemployment? 2019. D. Pavlopoulos, K. Chkalova.
- The platformisation of work in Europe: results from research in 13 European countries, 2019. U. Huws, N. Spencer, M. Coates, D. Sverre Syrdal, K. Holts.
- A Longitudinal Analysis of Job Satisfaction During a Recession in the Netherlands, 2019. P. Pilipiec, W. Groot, M. Pavlova.
- People outside the labour market, 2019. Eurostat.
- De arbeidsmarkt naar opleiding en beroep tot 2024, 2019. J. Bakens, I. Bijlsma, S. Dijksman, D. Fouarge, G. de Lombaerde.
- Transities op de arbeidsmarkt en dynamiek van loopbanen, 2019. T. Goesaert, T. Vandekerkhove, L. Struyven.
- Ontslag van de genormaliseerde ambtenaar, 2019. M. Schneider.
- Ontslag op staande voet. Disbalans tussen zorgvuldig onderzoek en onverwijldheid? 2019. A. Bungener, L. Mordaunt.
- Leidraad tariefafspraken zzp’ers, 2019. Autoriteit Consument en Markt.