Labour Market Participation and Atypical Employment over the Life Cycle: A Cohort Analysis for Germany
We use data from the adult cohort of the National Education Panel Study to analyse the changes in the employment histories of cohorts born after World War II and the role of atypical employment in this context. Younger cohorts are characterised by acquiring more education, by entering into employment at a higher age, and by experiencing atypical employment more often. The latter is associated with much higher employment of women for younger cohorts. A sequence analysis of employment trajectories illustrates the opportunities and risks of atypical employment: The proportion of individuals whose entry into the labour market is almost exclusively characterised by atypical employment rises significantly across the cohorts. Moreover, a substantial part of the increase in atypical employment is due to the increased participation of women, with part-time jobs or mini-jobs playing an important role in re-entering the labour market after career breaks.
|Author(s)||R. Bachmann, R. Felder, M. Tamm|
|Year of publication||Dec, 2018|
|Publisher||Forschungsinstitut zur Zukunft der Arbeit (IZA), Bonn|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Publications ajoutées récemment
- Regulating uncertainty: variable work schedules and zero-hour work in EU employment policy, 2019. A. Piasna.
- Rising to the youth employment challenge: New evidence on key policy issues, 2019. N. O'Higgins.
- Business, labour and the costs of welfare state development, 2019. D. Oude Nijhuis.
- Do social networks mitigate stigma effects from long-term unemployment? 2019. M. Rebien.
- Global Entrepreneurship Monitor the Netherlands 2018, 2019. J. de Kok, P. van der Zeijden, B. Kruithof, A. van Stel, A. van der Graaf, J. Snijders.
- Loonkostenverschillen bij detachering binnen de EU, 2019. N. Aipassa, L. van Dantzig, G. Homburg.
- Inventarisatie regionale dienstverlening aan werkzoekenden, 2019. P. Schenderling, A. van Rossum, B. Berkhout.
- Algoritmische discriminatie in het arbeidsrecht, 2018. M. Jovović.
- Sleutelen aan de WW: werkt dat? 2019. M. von Bergh.
- Regionale Trendrapportage Banenafspraak - Eerste kwartaal 2019, 2019. UWV.