New trade union strategies for new forms of employment
This paper records the responses to the questionnaire that was circulated to academics for the purposes of compiling the ETUC publication, ‘New trade union strategies for new forms of employment’. In responding to the questions asked, this paper provides a broad description of how work relationships are organised in French law. It includes an analysis of the French concept of employee. It explains how behind the formal central criterion of this concept – subordination - lies a diversity of factors, supposedly proof elements of subordination. The impact of one of them, worker’s economic dependence, explains how French case law has managed to create a wide concept of employee, and hence a wide application range for Labour Law, including most of platform workers and other new forms of employment. This paper also recalls special French statutes extending the French Labour code to dependant workers like home workers, sales representatives, branch managers (including certain types of franchises), etc. The paper finally explains how and why both subordination and dependency should be officially recognised as alternative or combined criteria to draw the scope of labour protection.
|Year of publication||Sep, 2019|
|Journal||European Labour Law Journal|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Recently added publications
- Working Better with Age, Ageing and Employment Policies, 2019. OECD.
- Taking EU labour law beyond the employment contract: The role played by the European Court of Justice, 2019. E. Menegatti.
- Social and spatial networks in labour markets, 2019. G. Topa.
- How Labor Market Inequality Transforms Mass Politics, 2019. S. Häusermann, A. Kemmerling, D. Rueda.
- Labour market segmentation: Piloting new empirical and policy analyses, 2019. I. Cruz, O. Molina, J.M. Verd, E. Palauskaite, R. Dumčius, M. Venckutė, V. Patrini, C. Vacas‑Soriano.
- Diversiteit arbeidsrelaties en arbeidsomstandigheden, 2019. SER.
- WABlief? 2019. M. Beukhof, J. Marijnissen, R. Rietveld, V. Scuric.
- Lagere productiviteit door groei zelfstandigen, 2019. H. de Bondt.
- Werknemers in een nieuwe baan en hun arbeidsmarktpositie een jaar later, 2019. G. Gringhuis, J. de Vries.
- Jaarboek Tijdschrift voor Sociale Vraagstukken: Nieuwe zekerheden in onzekere tijden, 2019. F. Dekker, M. Ham, J. van der Meer (Red.).