New trade union strategies for new forms of employment
This paper records the responses to the questionnaire that was circulated to academics for the purposes of compiling the ETUC publication, ‘New trade union strategies for new forms of employment’. In responding to the questions asked, this paper provides a broad description of how work relationships are organised in French law. It includes an analysis of the French concept of employee. It explains how behind the formal central criterion of this concept – subordination - lies a diversity of factors, supposedly proof elements of subordination. The impact of one of them, worker’s economic dependence, explains how French case law has managed to create a wide concept of employee, and hence a wide application range for Labour Law, including most of platform workers and other new forms of employment. This paper also recalls special French statutes extending the French Labour code to dependant workers like home workers, sales representatives, branch managers (including certain types of franchises), etc. The paper finally explains how and why both subordination and dependency should be officially recognised as alternative or combined criteria to draw the scope of labour protection.
|Year of publication||Sep, 2019|
|Journal||European Labour Law Journal|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Recently added publications
- The pursuit of an employment relationship. Managing people in a flexible labor market, 2019. E. Federici.
- Labour Market Policy and Labour Law Reforms in Germany: Towards Inclusive Growth, 2019. G. Schmid.
- The classification of employment relationships in Belgium, 2019. M. Wouters.
- Upward convergence in employment and socioeconomic factors, 2019. M. Mascherini, M. Bisello, M. Samek Lodovici, N. Torchio, F. Pesce, A. Cristini, F. Origo, G. Bosio.
- Business Against Markets: Employer Resistance to Collective Bargaining Liberalization During the Eurozone Crisis, 2019. F. Bulfone, A. Afonso.
- Bridge workers in uitzendwerk, 2019. K. Veth, H.P.L.M. Korzilius, B.I.J.M. van der Heijden, A. de Lange.
- Staat van eerlijk werk 2019, 2019. Inspectie SZW.
- Evaluatie Wet aanpak schijnconstructies, 2019. Ministerie van SZW.
- Een gelijk speelveld in de online platformeconomie? 2019. L.E. Felderhof, M.P.C. Rozenbroek.
- Jongeren met afstand tot de arbeidsmarkt in beeld, 2019. L. Swart, D. Visser.