The quest for sustainable employment: Challenges faced by young people during the job‐search process
Young people who are unable to find and sustain employment are at risk for long‐term social and economic exclusion. Active labour market policies (ALMPs) addressing the problem of youth unemployment have focused on building the employability skills of young job seekers to expand their employment opportunities. Yet research exploring how young people navigate the job‐search process is limited. Drawing on interviews with young Australian job seekers and their employment consultants, this article addresses the questions of how young people navigate entry into employment through the job‐search process and what challenges they face. The study revealed three common frustrations experienced by the young people during their job‐search: employers' expectations of relevant work experience in the young person's preferred occupation, being required to apply for jobs not aligned with their career aspirations, and the impact of personal factors on their ability to confidently present themselves to prospective employers. The findings highlight the need for ALMPs and employers to facilitate positive employability support mechanisms that will build a stable platform from which young people can build a trajectory towards sustainable employment to reduce long‐term youth unemployment.
|Year of publication||Mar, 2019|
|Journal||Australian Journal of Social Issues|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Recently added publications
- Regulating uncertainty: variable work schedules and zero-hour work in EU employment policy, 2019. A. Piasna.
- Rising to the youth employment challenge: New evidence on key policy issues, 2019. N. O'Higgins.
- Business, labour and the costs of welfare state development, 2019. D. Oude Nijhuis.
- Do social networks mitigate stigma effects from long-term unemployment? 2019. M. Rebien.
- Global Entrepreneurship Monitor the Netherlands 2018, 2019. J. de Kok, P. van der Zeijden, B. Kruithof, A. van Stel, A. van der Graaf, J. Snijders.
- Loonkostenverschillen bij detachering binnen de EU, 2019. N. Aipassa, L. van Dantzig, G. Homburg.
- Inventarisatie regionale dienstverlening aan werkzoekenden, 2019. P. Schenderling, A. van Rossum, B. Berkhout.
- Algoritmische discriminatie in het arbeidsrecht, 2018. M. Jovović.
- Sleutelen aan de WW: werkt dat? 2019. M. von Bergh.
- Regionale Trendrapportage Banenafspraak - Eerste kwartaal 2019, 2019. UWV.