For the sake of security. The future of flexible workers and the modern organisation of labour
The number of people who have a permanent job is decreasing while insecurity on the labour market is increasing. In the Netherlands, a growing number of people are working on temporary contracts: the number of self-employed workers is rising and many aspects of the way work is organised are changing. Another trend is hybridisation, resulting in new combinations and hybrid forms of work. At the same time, many stake holders and bodies are worried that flexibilisation is going too far.
Returing to the past is not an option and also not desirable; there are no easy answers. However, the government, the business community, employers' and employees' organisations and citizens all have an influence on the way we work. The aim should be to organise the flexible labour market in such a way that it is consistent with the economy and society that we want and, at the same time, provide flexible workers with greater security.
|Author(s)||M. Kremer, R. Went, A. Knottnerus (Eds.)|
|Year of publication||May, 2017|
|Publisher||The Netherlands Scientific Council for Government Policy, The Hague|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Recently added publications
- Youth Labor in Transition. Inequalities, Mobility, and Policies in Europe, 2019. J. O'Reilly, J. Leschke, R. Ortlieb, M. Seeleib-Kaiser, P. Villa (Eds.).
- Balancing flexibility and security in Europe? The impact of unemployment on young peoples’ subjective well-being, 2019. H. Russell, J. Leschke, M. Smith.
- Youth unemployment and employment trajectories in Spain during the Great Recession: what are the determinants? 2019. J.M. Verd, O. Barranco, M. Bolíbar.
- The decline in middle-skilled employment in 12 European countries: New evidence for job polarisation, 2019. C. Peugny.
- 20 Years in the world of work: A study of (nonstandard) occupational trajectories and health, 2019. F. Giudici, D. Morselli.
- Trends in kwaliteit van de arbeid van flexibele en vaste werknemers en multi-jobbers, 2019. K. Kraan, S. Verbiest.
- Nationale Enquête Arbeidsomstandigheden 2018, 2019. W.E. Hooftman, G.M.J. Mars, B. Janssen, E.M.M. de Vroome, B.J.M. Janssen, A.J.S.F. Pleijers, M.M.M.J. Ramaekers, S.N.J. van den Bossche.
- Balanceren met detacheren, 2018. J.H. Even.
- Toegang tot leven lang leren versnelt economische groei, 2019. S.J. Cabus.
- Werkloze ouderen weer aan het werk? Het effect van reserveringsloon en zoekintensiteit, 2019. J.D. Vlasblom, J. Schippers.