Technology scenario: Employment implications of radical automation
This report looks into the impact of the accelerated application of automation and digitisation technologies on the wage and tasks structure of employment in Europe. Despite the high level of uncertainty of these projections, the contribution of this report is to extend the analysis beyond just the technologically feasible substitution of workers by machines by incorporating some economics to the analysis. This includes the macroeconomic feasibility of the investment cost of automation, the multiplier effects of loss of demand – not only because of initial job loss, but also as a result of the shift away from other labour incomes – and job creation in the supply chain emanating from the increased demand for information and communications technology (ICT) equipment. The analysis is carried out using the E3ME macroeconometric model, which provides information on sectoral impacts, together with the Warwick Labour Market Extension model for occupational analysis. Further analysis of the employment developments in Europe is undertaken using Eurofound’s European Jobs Monitor.
|Author(s)||R. Lewney, E. Alexandri, D. Storrie|
|Year of publication||Apr, 2019|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Neuste zugefügte Publikationen
- Designing flexible work practices for job satisfaction: the relation between job characteristics and work disaggregation in different types of work arrangements, 2019. P. Neirotti, E. Raguseo, L. Gastaldi.
- Photographs of young generations on the Dutch labour market, 2019. S. Bekker, I.A. van Deurzen.
- In-work poverty in Europe: a study of national policies, 2019. R. Peña-Casas, D. Ghailani, S. Spasova, B. Vanhercke.
- Exploring the Ingredients of Success: Studying Trajectories of the Vulnerable Unemployed Who Have Entered Work or Education in Denmark, 2019. S. Danneris, D. Caswell.
- In the name of competitiveness: a discursive institutionalist analysis of the EU’s approach to labour market structural reform, 2007–2016, 2019. J. Miró.
- Monitor Arbeidsmarkt april 2019, 2019. Ministerie van SZW.
- Karakteristieken en tarieven zzp’ers – gevolgen voor de kwalificatievraag, 2019. G.C. Boot.
- Private arbeidsintegratie: evaluatie van het Philips Werkgelegenheidsplan, 2019. R. Peijen, T. Wilthagen, R. Muffels, R. Dekker.
- Arbeidsmarktprognose 2019-2020, 2019. UWV.
- Transitiefunctie in het arbeidsrecht en werkloosheidsrecht, 2019. G.R. Oldenhuis.