The quest for sustainable employment: Challenges faced by young people during the job‐search process
Young people who are unable to find and sustain employment are at risk for long‐term social and economic exclusion. Active labour market policies (ALMPs) addressing the problem of youth unemployment have focused on building the employability skills of young job seekers to expand their employment opportunities. Yet research exploring how young people navigate the job‐search process is limited. Drawing on interviews with young Australian job seekers and their employment consultants, this article addresses the questions of how young people navigate entry into employment through the job‐search process and what challenges they face. The study revealed three common frustrations experienced by the young people during their job‐search: employers' expectations of relevant work experience in the young person's preferred occupation, being required to apply for jobs not aligned with their career aspirations, and the impact of personal factors on their ability to confidently present themselves to prospective employers. The findings highlight the need for ALMPs and employers to facilitate positive employability support mechanisms that will build a stable platform from which young people can build a trajectory towards sustainable employment to reduce long‐term youth unemployment.
|Year of publication||Mar, 2019|
|Journal||Australian Journal of Social Issues|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Neuste zugefügte Publikationen
- European Unemployment Insurance? 2019. G. Schmid.
- Working conditions in a global perspective, 2019. M. Aleksynska, J. Berg, D. Foden, H. Johnston, A. Parent-Thirion, J. Vanderleyden.
- Should digital labour platforms be treated as private employment agencies? 2019. V. De Stefano, M. Wouters.
- The working poor - or how a job is no guarantee of decent living conditions, 2019. R. Gammarano.
- Technology scenario: Employment implications of radical automation, 2019. R. Lewney, E. Alexandri, D. Storrie.
- Employability van flexibele en vaste werknemers in Nederland, 2019. W. Smits, J. de Vries.
- Sociale zekerheid en controle op detacheringen binnen de EU. Nieuwe wending in de rol van de detacheringsverklaringen bij fraude, 2019. H. Verschueren.
- De wetgever en payrolling: waar staan we nu? 2019. A. Briejer.
- Kroniek Wet Werk en Zekerheid 2018, 2019. A. Hiebendaal.
- Factsheet Parttime werk in de bijstand, 2019. Divosa.