The dynamism of the new economy: Non-standard employment and access to social security in EU-28
This paper examines the prevalence of non-standard workers in EU-28, rules for accessing social security, and these workers’ risk of not being able to access it. It focuses on temporary and part-time workers, and the self-employed, and offers a particularly detailed analysis of their access to unemployment benefits. It focuses on eligibility, adequacy (net income replacement rates) and identifies those workers which are at the greatest risk of either not receiving benefits or receiving low benefits. It offers a special overview of foreign non-standard workers, who may be particularly vulnerable due to the absence of citizenship in the host country. The paper also analyses access to maternity and sickness benefits for these three groups of workers, as well as their access to pensions. Its key contribution is in bringing together the different dimensions of disadvantage that non-standard workers face vis-à-vis access to social protection. This allows us to comprehensively assess the adaptation of national social security systems across EU-28 to the changing world of work over the past 10 years.
|Year of publication||Jan, 2019|
|Volume, Number||2019, 141|
|Publisher||London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), London|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Neuste zugefügte Publikationen
- The pursuit of an employment relationship. Managing people in a flexible labor market, 2019. E. Federici.
- Labour Market Policy and Labour Law Reforms in Germany: Towards Inclusive Growth, 2019. G. Schmid.
- The classification of employment relationships in Belgium, 2019. M. Wouters.
- Upward convergence in employment and socioeconomic factors, 2019. M. Mascherini, M. Bisello, M. Samek Lodovici, N. Torchio, F. Pesce, A. Cristini, F. Origo, G. Bosio.
- Business Against Markets: Employer Resistance to Collective Bargaining Liberalization During the Eurozone Crisis, 2019. F. Bulfone, A. Afonso.
- Bridge workers in uitzendwerk, 2019. K. Veth, H.P.L.M. Korzilius, B.I.J.M. van der Heijden, A. de Lange.
- Staat van eerlijk werk 2019, 2019. Inspectie SZW.
- Evaluatie Wet aanpak schijnconstructies, 2019. Ministerie van SZW.
- Een gelijk speelveld in de online platformeconomie? 2019. L.E. Felderhof, M.P.C. Rozenbroek.
- Jongeren met afstand tot de arbeidsmarkt in beeld, 2019. L. Swart, D. Visser.