Labor market reforms: An evaluation of the Hartz policies in Germany
How do workers and firms respond to comprehensive labor market reforms? We use detailed micro data to analyze the German Hartz Reforms through the lens of a structural model of the labor market. These reforms aimed at reducing unemployment, by increasing working hour flexibility, job matching and work incentives. In our setting, reforms directly affect the model parameters, which are estimated using matched data on 430,000 workers in 340,000 firms. Contrary to previous findings, our analysis shows that, although the reforms shortened the typical duration of unemployment, they did not reduce unemployment as a whole and led to a decline in wages. Low-skilled workers suffered the most in terms of employment and wage losses. Furthermore, we decompose the contribution of each reform wave to employment and wage changes, finding that the reduction in generosity of unemployment benefits was the principle driver in reducing wages.
|Author(s)||J. Bradley, A. Kügler|
|Year of publication||Mar, 2019|
|Journal||European Economic Review|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Neuste zugefügte Publikationen
- The pursuit of an employment relationship. Managing people in a flexible labor market, 2019. E. Federici.
- Labour Market Policy and Labour Law Reforms in Germany: Towards Inclusive Growth, 2019. G. Schmid.
- The classification of employment relationships in Belgium, 2019. M. Wouters.
- Upward convergence in employment and socioeconomic factors, 2019. M. Mascherini, M. Bisello, M. Samek Lodovici, N. Torchio, F. Pesce, A. Cristini, F. Origo, G. Bosio.
- Business Against Markets: Employer Resistance to Collective Bargaining Liberalization During the Eurozone Crisis, 2019. F. Bulfone, A. Afonso.
- Bridge workers in uitzendwerk, 2019. K. Veth, H.P.L.M. Korzilius, B.I.J.M. van der Heijden, A. de Lange.
- Staat van eerlijk werk 2019, 2019. Inspectie SZW.
- Evaluatie Wet aanpak schijnconstructies, 2019. Ministerie van SZW.
- Een gelijk speelveld in de online platformeconomie? 2019. L.E. Felderhof, M.P.C. Rozenbroek.
- Jongeren met afstand tot de arbeidsmarkt in beeld, 2019. L. Swart, D. Visser.