Work in the platform economy: Deliveroo riders in Belgium and the SMart arrangement
This paper presents a case study of the food delivery platform, Deliveroo, in Belgium in 2016-2018. The case offers insights on the nature of platform work, the workers who perform it, the preferences of workers, the strategy of the platforms, and the role of local regulations. Interestingly, Deliveroo in Belgium employed workers through an intermediary, SMart, and we also observed the termination of their co-operation in the period under analysis. Using administrative data provided by SMart and a survey of workers, we analyse patterns of work and also focus on pay. We investigate the characteristics of the workers, their preferences regarding working conditions and their motivation for engaging in platform work. We identify that the jobs are lowhours and low-income, performed primarily by precarious student workers. We show that the SMart arrangement was motivated primarily by the specifics of the Belgian tax system. Even so, it provided workers with protections that they valued, including income security. Contrary to what the platform claimed, the abandonment of the SMart system did not offer the riders the flexibility they desired. Instead, it reduced their degree of autonomy and control in relation to the platform.
|Author(s)||J. Drahokoupil, A. Piasna|
|Year of publication||Jan, 2019|
|Journal||ETUI Working Paper|
|Volume, Number||2019, 1|
|Publisher||European Trade Union Institute (ETUI), Brussels|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Neuste zugefügte Publikationen
- Working Better with Age, Ageing and Employment Policies, 2019. OECD.
- Taking EU labour law beyond the employment contract: The role played by the European Court of Justice, 2019. E. Menegatti.
- Social and spatial networks in labour markets, 2019. G. Topa.
- How Labor Market Inequality Transforms Mass Politics, 2019. S. Häusermann, A. Kemmerling, D. Rueda.
- Labour market segmentation: Piloting new empirical and policy analyses, 2019. I. Cruz, O. Molina, J.M. Verd, E. Palauskaite, R. Dumčius, M. Venckutė, V. Patrini, C. Vacas‑Soriano.
- Diversiteit arbeidsrelaties en arbeidsomstandigheden, 2019. SER.
- WABlief? 2019. M. Beukhof, J. Marijnissen, R. Rietveld, V. Scuric.
- Lagere productiviteit door groei zelfstandigen, 2019. H. de Bondt.
- Werknemers in een nieuwe baan en hun arbeidsmarktpositie een jaar later, 2019. G. Gringhuis, J. de Vries.
- Jaarboek Tijdschrift voor Sociale Vraagstukken: Nieuwe zekerheden in onzekere tijden, 2019. F. Dekker, M. Ham, J. van der Meer (Red.).