Work in the platform economy: Deliveroo riders in Belgium and the SMart arrangement
This paper presents a case study of the food delivery platform, Deliveroo, in Belgium in 2016-2018. The case offers insights on the nature of platform work, the workers who perform it, the preferences of workers, the strategy of the platforms, and the role of local regulations. Interestingly, Deliveroo in Belgium employed workers through an intermediary, SMart, and we also observed the termination of their co-operation in the period under analysis. Using administrative data provided by SMart and a survey of workers, we analyse patterns of work and also focus on pay. We investigate the characteristics of the workers, their preferences regarding working conditions and their motivation for engaging in platform work. We identify that the jobs are lowhours and low-income, performed primarily by precarious student workers. We show that the SMart arrangement was motivated primarily by the specifics of the Belgian tax system. Even so, it provided workers with protections that they valued, including income security. Contrary to what the platform claimed, the abandonment of the SMart system did not offer the riders the flexibility they desired. Instead, it reduced their degree of autonomy and control in relation to the platform.
|Author(s)||J. Drahokoupil, A. Piasna|
|Year of publication||Jan, 2019|
|Journal||ETUI Working Paper|
|Volume, Number||2019, 1|
|Publisher||European Trade Union Institute (ETUI), Brussels|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Neuste zugefügte Publikationen
- Annual review of working life 2018, 2019. C. Aumayr-Pintar, C. Cerf, B. Surdykowska.
- Active Labor Market Programs for Youth: A Framework to Guide Youth Employment Interventions, 2019. W. Cunningham, M.L. Sanchez-Puerta, A. Wuermli.
- Individual Learning Accounts: Panacea or Pandora's Box? 2019. OECD.
- Still Seeking Coordination? Assessing German Employers’ Interests in the Digitalized Social Market Economy, 2019. J. Weckwerth, T. Weishaupt.
- Good intentions meet harsh realities: Social dialogue and precarious work in industrial cleaning, 2019. T.P. Larsen, M. Mailand, T. Schulten.
- De waarde van werk staat in Nederland onder druk, 2019. W.M. Been, P.T. de Beer.
- De ontslagbescherming van onderwijzend personeel, 2019. E. van Vliet.
- Zeggenschap over arbeid en technologie, 2019. F. Pot.
- Vaker aan het werk met een no-riskpolis? Evaluatie experiment vervroegde toekenning no-riskpolis, 2019. UWV.
- Publieke belangen en de regulering van digitale platformen, 2018. P. de Bijl, N. van Gorp.