A multichannel typology of temporary employment careers in the Netherlands: Identifying traps and stepping stones in terms of employment and income security
In this paper, we apply multichannel sequence analysis of labour market positions and incomes to create a typology of careers starting with temporary employment in the Netherlands. For this purpose, we use detailed register data from Statistics Netherlands for all workers who entered temporary employment in 2007 and were observed for 96 months. This approach leads to a typology of 17 different career types that shows a considerably larger variation - in terms of employment and income security - than previous research has shown. Specifically, the typology shows that 29.6% of the research population has a stepping stone career with high career and income security, while 39.7% has a dead-end career with low career and income security. However, a large part of careers – 24.7% – cannot be classified in this traditional distinction, as they combine high employment security and low incomes or high incomes and low employment security.
|Author(s)||L.M.S. Mattijssen, D. Pavlopoulos|
|Year of publication||Jan, 2019|
|Journal||Social Science Research Network|
|Volume, Number||77, 1|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Newsletter Woche 2 - 2019
- Workers without Borders: Posted Work and Precarity in the EU, 2018. I. Wagner.
- The rise of online labour markets: freelancing and gig working via internet platforms, 2018. V. Lehdonvirta.
- A multichannel typology of temporary employment careers in the Netherlands: Identifying traps and stepping stones in terms of employment and income security, 2019. L.M.S. Mattijssen, D. Pavlopoulos.
- Labour Market Participation and Atypical Employment over the Life Cycle: A Cohort Analysis for Germany, 2018. R. Bachmann, R. Felder, M. Tamm.
- Digital work in the transport sector: in search of the employer, 2018. A. Loffredo, M. Tufo.
- Arbeidsparticipatie, 2018. CBS.
- Monitor Arbeidsmarkt oktober 2018, 2018. Ministerie van SZW.
- Platformwerk ontwricht ons arbeidsbestel, 2018. G. Evers, F. Pot.
- Schulden & Werk Deelrapport I: Bijstandsgerechtigden met schulden, 2018. R. Oomkens, M. Linssen, C. Akkermans, P. Vroonhof, R. van Geuns, P. de Klaver, T. Geijsen, M. Tom.
- Wanneer moet passende arbeid worden geaccepteerd met het oog op art. 24 WW? 2018. S.E.M. Meijer.